Barry SCHWARTZ (Barijo ŜVARC) (chemoelectric) wrote,

Paradise Lost: Book IX

I’ve edited Book 9 of Paradise Lost, and while most of it was easy a part was not so: there was a missing line and other lines were out of order. This really isn’t too surprising, because at least at one point my main source was the oldest known e-text, from the 1960s, and it probably began life as decks of Hollerith cards, or similar.

Partly for my pure entertainment and partly for kerning adjustments, I created this one in a recently obtained and massively broken font family. I have repaired and effectively enhanced only the regular-weight roman, so far. The enhancements are mostly an instance of a ‘virtual font’ capacity I have added to my code, which makes a set of closely related conventional Type 1 fonts (roman, small caps, ligatures, oldstyle figures, divided up into multiple fonts) appear as if they were a single OpenType font. Roughly the same mechanism has existed as part of TeX since the late 1980s, an essential part nowadays, so it’s not an original idea at all.

The things needing fixing included near total botching of glyph names and encoding, in one smallcaps font. Oy! It hurt my hand to fix that. (Though once the glyph names were set straight it was just a button push to fix the encoding. I’m sure you know what I am talking about....)

Get the text here (with Books X to XII still unedited):

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded