There is a decent chance I’ll go do the next project anyway, just using a well-spaced font that you could get away with using sans kerning.
But I strongly suspect they are going about things incorrectly, in a way that I did in my first pass at handling OpenType features. That was in my Unicon software; I did things more correctly in the Caml version. Experience with TeX isn’t necessarily a great thing when working with OpenType.
I’m kind of bored with writing my tiny little programs in Caml, and want a break from designing fonts. I’m going to take a break from Juvelo Italic and release Juvelo Roman as a ‘sneak preview’ on my reworked CrudFactory page. But also I am thinking of working either with LuaTeX and ConTeXt but trying to cram in code for the way I think things should work, or else fork off my own derivative of ant (which is public domain). The former project could leverage a whole lot of existing capability, while the latter project not as much. But the former also means working with a rapidly changing project that some guys purposely are doing as a small team, while the latter is working with code whose author doesn’t have time to work on it, anyway, so that forking off my own stuff would be a leisurely activity.